Vision Design Group’s tutorial for customizing a Constant Contact email template has been one of the most popular posts on our blog consistently since it was published in January of 2010. Constant Contact has upgraded their user interface since then, and it’s high time for an update, wouldn’t you agree? Check out the new tutorial below!
Creating a custom email template is simple to do. If you have image editing software on your computer and a Constant Contact account, you can customize an existing email template to match your website and existing brand.
This post will provide step-by-step instructions for customizing an email template using our own email newsletter as a sample.
1. Log into your Constant Contact account and select the Emails tab, then click Create.
2. Start by choosing an existing template that has a layout that will work with your content.
My favorite basic template to start with is the “Green Promotion” template, which is located in the Promotions category. It has a simple single-column text area, a header and footer image that can be changed and an optional coupon block. Once you’ve selected a template, click the orange Select button.
3. The next screen is the page where you can start customizing your email. Start by editing the name of your email so you can easily find it later. I called mine CUSTOMIZED TEMPLATE.
4. Next, click on the Header Options block (see screenshot below). Editing this area will allow you to change the email’s subject, the sender name on the email, and add social sharing links.
Now you’re ready to begin customizing your email!
Customizing the header and footer images
1. We’ll start by replacing the image used for the email header. Click the Header Image Block to begin editing it.
2. Click the gear icon located in the upper right corner of the image, then select Change from the list of options.
3. A new window will open that allows you to replace the existing header with your own email header image. The existing header image is 600 pixels wide; your new image should also be 600 pixels wide if you want to keep the alignment consistent (but you can make the image height taller or shorter if you need to). You can link to an image on a website, or upload a file from your computer.
4. When you’ve selected your image, add an Image Description in the field provided, then click Insert to finish adding the header image. If you’re satisfied with your new image, click Save to finish editing the Header Image Block.
5. Use the same method to edit the Footer Image Block, or delete the block if you don’t have a footer image.
6. At this time, you can delete any blocks that you’re not using; for example, I included the company logo in the header image, so I deleted the Company Logo Block from the top of the email. If you change your mind later, you can always add it again by clicking Add Blocks in the left column menu.
Editing the colors & fonts in your email
The colors and styles for your email can all be edited from the menu on the left side of your screen. Click Global Colors & Fonts to expand and contract the menu.
Once you’re finished customizing the colors and fonts in your email, you’re ready to add content and send the email!
Hope the tutorial was helpful! Feel free to leave questions in the comments below.
If you need more assistance for any part of managing your email marketing campaign or customizing a Constant Contact template, feel free to call Vision Design Group at (877) 201-5391. We’re happy to help!
- Step by step instructions: Importing your contact list into Constant Contact
- How do I buy an email list?
- Vision Design Group email marketing services
- FREE 60-day trial with Constant Contact