Constant Contact is a third party tool that allows you to communicate with your customer base through email. This post will provide simple instructions for importing a contact list to use in Constant Contact. Constant Contact also offers the option to manually type in email addresses, but the import option is great for when you have multiple email addresses to add at once.
Start with a file in one of the following formats. Constant Contact’s website contains instructions for exporting an email list in any of these formats from Outlook, Outlook Express, Act!, Excel or Notepad. (image 1)
- Excel (.xls)
- Comma Separated Value (.csv)
- Text (.txt)
- Once you have your email list saved on your computer, log into Constant Contact and click on the Contacts tab in the header, then click on the Add/Import Contacts link (image 2).
- On the next screen, select one or multiple lists where you’d like the contacts to be added. When you are finished, click Next >
- On the next screen, choose the option for “Import my list from a file on my computer,” then click Next > (image 3)
- Next you will be asked to specify the file’s location. Clicking the Browse button will open a finder view of the files on your computer. Locate the *.xls, *.txt or *.csv file on your computer and click Open, then click the yellow Submit Data button on the right side of the screen.
- Constant Contact will prompt you with a checklist to confirm you have permission to use this email list in your email marketing account. All boxes must be checked before your import can begin. (image 4)
- Once you’ve completed the checklist, click Submit.
- Congratulations, you’ve imported your contact list! (image 5)